Monday 8 March 2010

So ... here we are then ...

In weighing up the pros and cons of whether or not to write a blog attached to the Philistine Press website, I took a look at a wide range of other blogs to see how you're supposed to do it. This, in a way, was a pointless exercise, because blogs are such personalised things that there's no right or wrong method.

One thing I learned, however, was that there seem to be a lot of failed bloggers out there, whose one or two attempts at sharing their profound thoughts / artwork / photocopies of their arses with the world are still available to view several years after their last post. New Years Resolutions gone wrong.

Often more prolific bloggers will suddenly decide to quit, and it's kind of heartbreaking to stumble across some frustrated writer's final entry from 2006, which simply reads, "I'm getting really pissed off with all this." It makes you wonder what has become of these people. I would like to think they are still alive somewhere, living fulfilling lives away from their laptops.

I was reluctant to write a blog myself, having recently completed a novel featuring a failed blogger as one of its main characters. Life imitating art, and all that.

So, let's just see how it goes, shall we?

As publishers, we at Philistine Press intend to be around for a long, long time. We have some truly amazing work lined up for publication, which I'm really excited about. Our first release, Big Fish Little Fish Cardboard Box by Annette Greenaway is a stunning piece of work, and I wish I'd written it myself.

What I'd also like to do with this blog is share some links to other bits of fiction, poetry, art, music, film, and whatever else catches the collective eye of the Philistines - hence the name of this blog - "Philistine Friendly." Good name, eh?


Frank Burton
http://www.frankburton.co.uk/
http://www.philistinepress.com/

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog. I think Philistine Press is gonna have a bright bright future. All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog - varied gems;
    genuine: generating
    abstract realism.

    ReplyDelete