Monday 31 October 2011

The Uninvited by Geling Yan - a one word review




It was described by the Daily Telegraph as "A deeply political and masterfully executed novel that exposes the inequalities driving the world's next superpower." But that's too many words. My one word review:

"Satirical."

The word "satire" is overused and often misapplied. In this case, it's the most appropriate description of a novel I can think of.

I disagree with the Telegraph review on one point: the stark contrast between rich and poor in Yan's novel doesn't just apply to China. In many respects, the book could have been set anywhere. As in Orwell and Swift, the satire in The Uninvited can be universally applied.

I read it primarily because I'm working on a novel with a similar premise and wanted to see how other people are doing it.

Damn. I've got a lot to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment